It’s another start to another school year! Being an officer of a Spanish club is a big responsibility but can certainly be enjoyable as well. It is up to you to come up with activities for the club that are fun and educational but also ones that fit into the club’s purpose. With these 45 ideas, you are sure to find a great activity for your club! Make sure to read up on How to Plan the Best Year Ever!
Helping club members (and other students at the school) better learn Spanish:
- Spanish Game Night – Play Scrabble or Boggle in Spanish! If you’re especially ambitious, play Charades!
- Spanish Movie Night – Watch Spanish films or your favorite movies in Spanish!
- Spanish Cuisine Night – Dine in a Spanish restaurant and practice your Spanish speaking skills – or have each member bring in different Spanish dishes and enjoy a feast.
- Visit a Spanish Speaking Country – Plan a foreign trip and get immersed in the Spanish language and culture.
- Spanish Debate – Pick an important topic and have a debate in Spanish.
- Spanish Karaoke – Make a fun night out of this and sing songs in Spanish!
- Spanish Telenovela Night – Telenovelas are definitely fun and educational. Complete an entire series throughout the year.
- Spanish Book Club – Assign Spanish books that you can discuss together in Spanish.
- Spanish Club T-Shirts – Have a session to make Spanish Club shirts and even sell them to raise money for the club.
- Spanish Club Newsletter – Have quarterly Spanish Club Newsletters with articles written in Spanish that features the different activities accomplished in a year.
- Spanish Pen Pal – Partner up with a Spanish school abroad to meet Hispanic Pen Pals that you can exchange letters with in Spanish.
- Spanish Tutoring Program – Tutor younger kids in Spanish!
- Spanish Field Trips – Go on a field trip with Spanish Club members to a Hispanic Exhibit, Spanish Film, Spanish Restaurant, or any Spanish activity happening in your area.
- Scavenger Hunt in Spanish – This will certainly be a lot of fun! Create clues in Spanish to make the game even more of a challenge.
- Spanish Poetry Session – Host a poetry night and have each member share the poems they composed.
- Battle of the Band – Have different bands or singers compete while performing Spanish songs.
- Spanish Idol – Similar to American Idol but the songs that are sung should be in Spanish!
- Video Game Night – This is a great way to learn the language. Start with children’s games and play amongst each other. Check out this site (http://pbskids.org/games/spanish/) for various Spanish games.
- Bowling Tournament – Play bowling with club members and only speak in Spanish.
- Make Spanish Flash Cards – You can even draw pictures with the words to help with your memory.
Promoting awareness of Hispanic cultures:
- Guest Speaker Series – Have different members of the local Hispanic community come speak about their home country.
- Host a Fiesta – This can be an annual event where you can involve the entire community.
- Spanish Cooking Class – Have a Spanish national teach authentic Spanish dishes.
- Cinco de Mayo – Have a traditional Cinco de Mayo party!
- Flamenco Night – Get everyone together to dance Flamenco in traditional attires.
- Spanish Role Playing – Have each member dress up as a notable Hispanic figure and have a guessing game.
- Homecoming Parade – Have a homecoming parade consisting of Hispanic themed floats where you can get the entire community involved.
- Spanish Dance Lessons – Learn all the different Spanish dances like Flamenco, Paso Doble, and Fandango.
- Skull Face Painting – Gather everyone to do skull face painting and discuss the role of this in Mexican culture.
- Ice Skating to Latin Music – This is a fun and relaxing way to learn more about Latin music during the holiday season!
- Local Cultural Events – Check for cultural Hispanic events happening in your area that club members can attend.
- Spanish Holiday Kiosk – Put up a booth at a school fair to offer information to the community on fun and educational Spanish holidays.
- Hispanic Heritage Month – Host various Hispanic activities from September 15 to October 15.
- Spanish Arts and Crafts – Try making traditional crafts like molas and piñatas.
- Join Parades – A great way to represent the Spanish Club and get the word out on the Club’s purpose.
- Spanish Sports Day – Football (soccer) is popular in Spain and Latin America countries – consider having a tournament!
- Invite a Hispanic Author – Ask them to speak in your school and prepare questions that will help the group become more knowledgeable in Hispanic culture.
- Organize a Spanish Play – Get the club together to practice and perform a play in Spanish – you can even collaborate with the theater club!
- Make Spanish/Latin Instruments – Try out making a maracas, bandurria and castanets.
- Organize a Mercado – Have authentic Spanish/Mexican/Latin goods that the community will enjoy.
- Hispanic Costume Party – Dress up in national Hispanic attire and make a masquerade ball out of it!
Serving the local community in general and/or the local community:
- Volunteer Work – Volunteer for an organization that helps the Hispanic community.
- Spanish Book for Children – Put together a Spanish book for children in the community interested to learn Spanish.
- Build a Spanish Library – Have a Spanish book drive and put all the books together to build a Spanish Library.
- Teach Spanish to Younger Kids – Offer to help younger children learn Spanish basics.
Image courtesy of solargaria at FreeDigitalPhotos.net